here for the July 1 start at bottom of page.

Click here for the Memorial page.

Thursday, July 31: Thursday was another typical day for Jack. He was up for lunch and dinner. He had visitors in the afternoon and evening. He "pumped some iron" and helped Donna mix some seed for bird food for her pet birds. He watched a video. After evening prayers, he ended saying "Hallelujah" and "Amen." As the lights were turned off in his room, Homer said "Good night, Goober!" Goober said "Good night, Homer!" Hallelujah! Psalm 103.

Wednesday, July 30: Jack was quiet today, not talking much, but he did a couple fun things. Donna and Jack had a visitor before lunch. Jack started exercising using 1lb. hand weights, and was able to "pump iron" with both arms. He got out into the wheelchair for 4 hours in late afternoon. He watched a video movie and ate dinner with Donna and John. He had a couple more visitors after dinner. After evening prayers, he ended saying "Hallelujah" and "Amen." Hallelujah! Psalm 116.

Tuesday, July 29: Jack said "Good morning, Homer" and "Good morning, Mom" to start an early day. He talked on the telephone with Homer when he called at mid-day. Jack's getting stronger. He's doing more of the work to get in and out of bed. He ate dinner with the family during a nearly 4 hour period in the wheelchair. Needless to say, we praise God and rejoice in every blessing of the day. The Word for today is from Ron, and is certainly prophetic: Psalm 22:24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; nor has He hidden His face from him: but when he cried to him, He heard. Jeremiah 33:3 Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. NKJV

Monday, July 28: Jack said "doing good" to start another day, and said "good morning, Mom" to Donna through the intercom. He slept a lot in the morning but was up for 4 hours before and through dinner. He had a couple visitors before dinner. Susan made Jack a sign (click here to see) saying "If Jack is doing good, We're all doing good!" He's more alert and able to communicate more. Thank you, Lord! Psalm 73: 23-26 Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. NIV

Sunday, July 27: The Sabbath day for rest. Jack slept well and was very peaceful. We had church service courtesy of taped sermons from Freedom Christian Church. He was in the wheelchair for the afternoon, again, and at the dinner table with the family, including Dan and Alicia, who visited in the late afternoon. Psalm 130:5 I wait for the LORD , my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. NIV

Saturday, July 26: Jack is definitely talking more and more energetic. The Goober-Homer dialog starts every day. He asked for grapefruit to start breakfast... and fruit salad... and more... He was in his wheelchair for 5 hours (all afternoon) watching videos. He is very responsive. His eyes are bright and shining. We rejoice in each of these blessings. Psalm 145

Friday, July 25: Friday was another "good day" for Jack. He was up for lunch and dinner, and had visitors in the morning, the nurse visited at mid-day, and a group of Freedom Christian Church prayer warriors visited in the evening for 2 hours of worship and prayer. Yes, it was a "good day." Thanks to all who have sent scripture verses. Jack received two similar verses: Psalm 27:14 Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD. and Psalm 37:7 Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. (NLT) Additionally, a sister in Christ shared that her prayers confirm that this is the time to wait patiently for Him to act. Know that Jack is waiting patiently for the LORD. While we wait: Psalm 118:24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. (NIV)

Thursday, July 24: Jack had a quiet day. He spent the day in bed but was up for dinner. He had visitors after dinner, which we always enjoy. After evening prayers, he finished with "Amen!" Psalm 27

Wednesday, July 23: Jack slept well last night and was awake early. His first words today were "I'm doing good!" There are two popular signs in our home: "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" and "If Daddy ain't happy, who cares?" We can seriously make another sign that says "If Jack is doing good, we're all doing good!" He was out of bed for lunch and dinner, and was talking more than in recent days. He had visitors in the afternoon, which he always enjoys. He said "Grace" before dinner, and ended evening prayers with "Amen!" Psalm 34

Tuesday, July 22: Jack slept in after a somewhat restless night. He got up for lunch with Donna, Mike, Dan and Alicia, and watched some videos after lunch. John got home from work after Jack had napped. Goober said "I'm doing good!" In the evening, they played catch with a nurf ball while listening to music. After evening prayer time, Jack ended the day with "Amen." Psalm 40

Monday, July 21: Goober said "I'm doing good!" to start the day. Lately, the mornings are his best time of day. He was out of bed early for a short while and then again for lunch. He napped in the afternoon, and ate an early dinner. The nurse visited in the late afternoon, and was happy with his condition. We all appreciate the calls, cards and email messages of encouragement and support. Psalm 118:24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. (NIV) Amen!

Sunday, July 20: Donna asked Jack what he wanted for breakfast, a grapefruit or bowl of fruit salad. He said "Both." And he ate it all... Jack and John had their customary morning conversation "Hey, Goober! How're you doing?" "Hey, Homer. I'm doing fine. How are you?" Jack was all smiles Sunday morning, as his pictures show. Both sets of grandparents visited with him today, and a friend from church visited in the afternoon. He spent the rest of the day just "chillin'."

Saturday, July 19:
AM: Jack had 4 seizures in the morning and was given medication. A call went out to the saints to call on the Lord to deliver Jack from further seizures. Psalm 50: 14-15: "Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving And pay your vows to the Most High; Call on Me in your day of trouble; I shall rescue you, and you will honor Me." (NASB)
PM: He slept until around 5PM, and there were no further seizures. When he awoke, he was much better. He took all his medicines and ate a lot. Thanks to all the saints for their prayers today, and thanks to our Lord for His lovingkindness.

Friday, July 18: The day started early this morning with the customary greetings: "Hey, Goober!" "Hey, Homer!" "How're you doing?" "I'm doing good! How are you doing?" "I'm good, too!" Jack had 5 visitors today, and enjoyed everyone's company. He got out of bed for dinner but went right back when he was finished. He was very tired at the end of the day but he had a good day.

Thursday, July 17: This is a day of mixed blessings. Jack was tired and restless throughout the day. The excitement of the last couple days must have worn him down. Nonetheless, he still says "I'm doing good. How are you doing?" He was out of bed at mid day and again for dinner. He watched the Orioles get a 2-1 lead over the World Champion Angels, and went to bed confident they would hold on to win, which they did! He ended prayer time with "Amen!" Amen to that...

Wednesday, July 16: Wow! Looking back, it's been 2 weeks since the Hospice support started. Jack has come a long way and each day brings new joys. The day started a little later than Tuesday but with the same conversation. He got out of bed for a couple hours at mid day and again for dinner. His grandparents arrived from Pennsylvania, and he watched some baseball on TV. He talked a lot more and even said a few words to his Uncle Mark on the telephone. Another day for rejoicing!

Tuesday, July 15: What a day! It started at 6:30AM. Jack's awake when I entered his room. I waved to him and he said "Good morning!" I asked how he's doing. He says "I'm doing good. How are you?"... Donna feeds him and gets him ready for the day. She asks him what he wants to do. He smiles and says he's ready to get in his car and go back to work. Jack was talking to Donna a lot in the morning. He got out of bed to have lunch with Dan and Alicia, Donna and Mike. The nurse visited in the afternoon. Karolyn was very happy with his condition. Jack got up for dinner at 6PM, and stayed up until 10PM, a record time out of bed. He watched the All-Star Baseball game until it looked like the National League team had it under control. He'll be happy that American League came back to win. Jack ended prayer time and his day with "Amen!"

Monday, July 14: Today was a very good day. Jack was more talkative today than in long time. He continues to eat a lot and get all his medications without difficulty. He got into the wheelchair for dinner with the family, and stayed up to receive visitors and watch the start of the Baseball All-Star Home Run Derby. At dinner, we asked Jack if he would say grace before we ate. He smiled and said "Grace." Every night before going to sleep, we pray with Jack. Tonight, when we were finished he ended with "Amen." Thank you, Lord, for the joy and gladness of today, and the promise for the same tomorrow.

Sunday, July 13: The day started early with a moderate seizure. He slept for a couple more hours and awoke very talkative and active. He got out of bed to have brunch outside, and was in the wheelchair for several hours. He had visitors in the afternoon, and has shown no effects from the seizure in the morning.

Saturday, July 12: We all slept in this morning and got Jack up for lunch outside. It was a beautiful morning and great to get outside for a couple hours. In the afternoon, Pastor Chris visited and celebrated Communion with us. He left with a sign from Jack for the Church body on Sunday morning. Jack received more visitors later, and had an enjoyable day.

Friday, July 11: Friday was another good day. Jack continues to eat well and got out of bed for 2 hours in the morning, having lunch outside by the pool, and again at dinner time. Twice in one day! Thank you, Jesus! It's been nearly 2 weeks since he was out of the house. He watched a short video of sports bloopers after dinner, which got him to laugh. He's been talking a little more today. We exchanged our Goober and Homer greetings this morning, which gets us smiling, and started on a positive note.

Thursday, July 10: It was an exciting day. Jack was out of bed for 2 hours in the morning. He got out of bed pretty much with the strength in his legs, took several steps to get positioned and sit in the wheelchair. He received a visitor in the morning. After eating lunch with the family, he got back into bed pretty much the same way he got out. The last time he was in a chair was Monday. In the evening, we were listening to praise music, and during one song, Jack raised his right hand in worship. Praise God!

Wednesday, July 9: Jack had another good day. He eats a lot and loves the visits of his friends. The email messages and cards with love and encouragement are also appreciated. Several children from Freedom Christian Church sent him art work they made special for him.

Tuesday, July 8: Jack had a good day and ate well. He had visitors from Freedom Christian Church and a visit from his Hospice nurse, who was very happy with his improvement. Please read the encouraging note from Linda Spafford about the worship service last night in York, PA.

Monday, July 7: Another good day, thank you LORD! After a somewhat restless night, Jack slept most of the day but continued with a good appetite. He ate dinner in his wheelchair, and greeted a couple visitors in the early evening.

Sunday, July 6
Praise the Lord!
Jack has had a great day. He was awake until mid-morning and then slept well into the afternoon. After visitors left, he got out of bed for the first time in 5 days and sat in a wheel chair, and then ate regular food for the first time in 8 days.

Saturday, July 5
Jack is much improved over Friday. He is awake for longer periods and can feed himself liquids and solids. The "thumbs-up" in picture above is his communication that he's doing good. He really enjoyed seeing family yesterday from Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Friday, July 4
Jack was better. He celebrated July 4th with family from Virginia and Pennsylvania visiting in the afternoon. He was awake for increasing intervals of time and was speaking better throughout the day. By the evening, he was starting to be able to hold his cup to drink.

Thursday - Wednesday, July 3 & 2
Jack was sleeping soundly from the sedatives, which were stopped late in the morning. He was very peaceful and had no further seizures. Wednesday evening, he started to wake up a bit, and slept well during the night. On Thursday, he was coming out of the sedative sleep and was increasingly responsive to those around him.

Tuesday, July 1
HomeCall Hospice Services support was started today. The equipment to move Jack into the living room was promptly delivered. The nurse, Karolyn, consulted with the doctors and medications were promptly delivered to stop the seizures. Karolyn was used by God to teach us the Healing Touch to stop seizures 6 times until the medication was delivered. He was given medication throughout the night and morning.

Prior to July 1
For the prior two weeks, Jack had been experiencing mini-seizures, headaches and occasional nausea. We had visitors to pray with us on Tuesday and Thursday of last week. On Friday evening, Jack went to the Friday night prayer meeting at
Freedom Christian Church, which he attends faithfully. On Saturday afternoon, he was visited by family from Virginia and spent the whole afternoon in the back yard. On Sunday, for the first time, he couldn't speak or get out of bed. Monday was better day with speaking and standing up but Monday night he had several seizures throughout the night.

Click here for the August daily news.

Click here for the Memorial page.

top of page